I am registered as a Practitioner Clinical Psychologist with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC). I am also registered with the British Psychological Society (BPS) as a Chartered Clinical Psychologist.
I am trained in highly specialized psychological therapy models such as Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) and other Third Wave Cognitive Behavioural Therapies.
Degrees And Education
- BA (Honours) in Psychology – University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
- MA in Applied Psychology (Specialization in Clinical Psychology) with clinical research thesis – University of Delhi, New Delhi, India. I was awarded the University Gold Medal.
- Statement of Equivalence in Clinical Psychology Programme, University College London, United Kingdom
- British Psychological Society’s Statement of Equivalence in Clinical Psychology (SoE programme), United Kingdom. I was granted Full Chartered Clinical Psychologist Status.
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Intensive Training – British Isles Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), United Kingdom
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Facilitator Training – Mindfulness Scotland
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule Training, Scottish ADOS Consortium, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- The Feeling Safe Programme, The University of Oxford and Oxford Health NHS trust, United Kingdom
I have been working in the field of psychology both in the UK and internationally for over 15 years. I currently work as a highly specialised clinical psychologist within the NHS, primarily working with adults with complex and severe mental health difficulties such as Complex Trauma, Psychosis, Personality Disorder and Bipolar Affective Disorder. I have experience of working across a variety of clinical settings like primary care and community mental health teams, acute care, and rehabilitation services.
I have extensive experience of assessing and treating psychological problems such as Depression, Anxiety related difficulties including Panic, Stress, Phobias, Worry problems, OCD, Health Anxiety, Poor Self-esteem issues, Emotional Regulation Problems, Self-harm and Risk issues, Personality Disorders, Psychosis Spectrum Disorders, PTSD, Complex Trauma presentations and Relational Difficulties.
Besides English, I am fluent in South Asian languages such as Hindi (spoken and written), Punjabi (spoken) and Urdu (spoken). I also work with clients from diverse multicultural backgrounds, and I provide specialised psychological interventions incorporating culturally sensitive approaches. I am particularly interested in adapting and flexibly utilising treatment strategies to best meet the specific needs of clients from diverse cultural backgrounds.
I regularly provide training to staff working within NHS such as nurses, occupational therapist, doctors, and social workers in a range of practice areas related to mental health and psychological wellbeing. I teach at the University of Edinburgh on The Doctorate in Clinical Psychology Programme and the South of Scotland CBT Postgraduate Diploma Course. I provide clinical supervision to Doctoral Trainee Clinical Psychologists, Assistant Psychologists, and Psychological Therapists within the NHS. I actively participate in quality improvement programme in the mental health service.
My Therapeutic Approach
In my clinical practice, I use a range of evidence-based therapeutic models such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT), Mindfulness-based and Systemic-based approaches.
My therapy approach is person centred, collaborative and strength based. For me it is important that clients feel safe and are able to develop a trusting therapeutic relationship with me. I am committed to working with clients to develop treatment plans that are based on a shared understanding of their psychological distress and are individually tailored to their specific needs.